28 dezembro 2023

(089) Das 100 músicas de que gosto mais | NORTH COUNTRY BLUES/ Joan Baez



Come gather 'round friendsAnd I'll tell you a taleOf when the red iron ore pits ran plentyBut the cardboard filled windowsAnd old men on the benchesTell you now that the whole town is empty
In the north end of townMy own children are grownBut I was raised up on the otherIn the wee hours of youthMy mother took sickAnd I was brought up by my brother
The iron ore pouredAs the years passed the doorThe drag lines and the shovels was a-hummingTill one day my brotherFailed to come homeSame as my father before him
Well, a long winter's waitFrom the window I watchedMy friends they couldn't have been kinderAnd my schooling was cutAs I quit in the springTo marry John Thomas, a miner
Oh, the years passed againAnd the givin' was goodWith the lunch buckets filled every seasonWhat with three babies bornThe work was cut downTo a half a day's shift with no reason
Then the shaft was soon shutAnd my work it was cutAnd the fire in the air, it felt frozenTill a man come to speakAnd he said in one weekThat number eleven was closin'
They complained in the EastThat they are paying too highThey say that your ore ain't worth diggingThat it's much cheaper downIn the South American townWhere the miners work almost for nothing
So the mining gates lockedAnd the red iron rottedAnd the room smelled heavy from drinkingWhere the sad, silent songMade the hour twice as longAs I waited for the sun to go sinking.
I lived by the windowAs he talked to himselfThis silence of tongues, it was buildingThen one morning's weekThe bed it was bareAnd I's left alone with three children
The summer is goneThe ground's turning coldThe stores one by one they're a-foldin'My children will goAs soon as they growOh, there ain't nothing here now to hold them.
Fonte: Musixmatch

Um comentário: